Preschool

So P-Do is 4 1/2 and I have been asked why I haven't put her in a Preschool this year. I ask myself that question all the time. For one I would miss her and I want one more year with my baby. But manly because if I put her in, it would just be for a play date twice a week. I don't want to spend money for a play date. She can count and do fractions, write all letters and numbers, write sentences and READ anything you put in front of her. Even if you spell it she can still figure it out! What will they teach her that I haven't already? I just can't justify spending so much money on it. She would LOVE LOVE to go to school and play and meet new friends (she is very much a social butterfly) but can't she go to a dance class and meet new friends for less? I guess I am struggling with more guilt than anything. I know she wants to go, but I didn't want to spend the money.
Bad Mom????

4 comments:

Rina said...

I don't think you should feel pressured to do preschool. It sounds like she is already ahead of most kindergartners. My thoughts are this: If they need help learning the basics (some kids are just not real interested in learning) or if she needs to work on her social game, it could be beneficial.

My kids didn't/haven't done preschool and Bowen managed KG just fine.

I agree with you that dance or swim lessons or something else that is structured and forces her to get on without Mommy might be the way to go. That way she gets to try something on her own but also gets to do something fun to explore her talents... that isn't just expensive, glorified daycare. :)

In a nutshell, I'm with you! Don't feel guilty! (But I understand because I have the same internal battle.)

salena said...

my friend on facebook just asked about this today. and everyone mainly said that preschool is for them to learn to be away from you, structure, to raise their hand, wait in line, etc. But Bastien was fine with all that stuff within the first 2 days of kindergarten, i'm sure. i do think its mainly just for the kid to learn social skills..as long as she's getting that somewhere..she is already way ahead of a kindergartener..i say save your 900 bucks! good idea on dance class instead!

Nikki said...

You girls made me feel so much better! What great ladies you are!

Koren said...

You have been an amazing teacher! That's absolutely amazing. GREAT MOM!! Sam is a really lucky guy and I love reading about your happy little family